Home   About Us    MS Facts    Contact Us    Services    How you can help    Newsletters


About Us 

The Manawatu Multiple Sclerosis Society (trading as MS Central Districts) is a non-profit organisation employing 3 part time staff including a Field Worker, a Field Work Support person and an Office Manager, who provide support, education and advocacy for people with MS, their carers and their families in our community.  We service a large region from Taihape in the north, Marton to Eketahuna, Otaki in the south, and crosses five districts being Rangitikei, Tararua, Manawatu, Horowhenua and Kapiti Coast.  Our current membership is over 200 clients with the majority living in Palmerston North city environs.

Our Society was incorporated in June 1969, is registered with the Charities Commission and is also GST registered.  A Management Committee with Patron, Hon Iain Lees-Galloway, oversee the governance of the Society.

We receive approximately 15 percent of our operating costs from the Ministry of Health, the remaining 85 percent we must source ourselves.  We rely heavily on the goodwill of the public through donations of money and/or time, and on various Trusts and other organisations such as NZ Lotteries, COGS, Eastern and Central Community Trust, etc.  We also hold fundraising activities including an annual street appeal, raffles, and collections at other events.

Committee Members

President                         Ian Chadburn
Vice President
                 Helen Sutherland
                         Monica Huisman
                        James Boon 
 Members       Maree Mander

                                        Janice Avery

                                        Peri Leader

                                        Tracey Hall


Office Manager                 Carolyn Soane, phone 06 357 3188 or 022 687 2033
                                     (Hours:  Mon-Thurs 9.00am 4.00pm, Fri 9.00am   1.30pm)
MS Field Worker               
Ria Sapsford, phone 021 800 643

Field Work Support            Philippa Russell, phone 022 687 2033



                           Painting by MSCD Art Group                                             



   Contact Us

    Office hours  Mon to Thur 9.00am to 4.00pm Friday's 9.00am to 1.30pm 

    Phone:          06 357 3188  
    Fax:              06 357 3072
    Email:          mmss@inspire.net.nz
    Website:       www.mscentral.org.nz